How to start your food truck business?
In order to start your own food truck business there are many steps involved that cannot be omitted. If you dream of starting your first mobile catering venture this guide will help you get started and familiarize yourself with the process.
Food Safety Authority Ireland Checklist
- First and foremost your food business must be registered with the HSE
- You will need to familiarize yourself with food hygiene legislation
- You have to develop a food safety management system based on HACCP
- You must have a traceability system in case there’s something wrong with your batch of food
- Be prepared to undertake food safety training
- Consider other aspects for your food truck
- Have a look at other Food Safety Authority Ireland publications
The next step of your catering journey is to develop a detailed business plan. A coherent business plan will consist of the following.
- An executive summary which is usually the last part to be written. The summary should describe your mission, a brief company introduction, your main products and services, your customer base, summary of your competition and your competitive advantage, financial projections for upcoming years as well as your start up financial requirements.
- Mobile catering industry/business overview which will explain how your business will stand out in the market. In general what is the nature of the mobile catering sector, what are the statistics and sales?
- Products/services section will provide an in-depth description of your produce and talk about how they are unique and better-value from competitors’ products.
- Market analysis and competition section should include statistics and financial models to justify your competitive factor. You need to execute a thorough target market analysis, competition assessment that concludes there is enough demand for your products.
- Sales and marketing plan should have a detailed strategy of how you will attract customers via use of promotion, pricing, and sales. Think about what’s your UNIQUE SELLING POINT and how it benefits your customers. Set your price low enough to attract customers while making sure you will cover all costs.
Consider how you will market your food trailer.
Will you need to make a website?
What about photography of your products?
Which social media channels will you choose?
Will you give out free samples?
- Ownership and management plan describes your legal structure, eg Limited company or sole trader, managerial and employee roles, employee compensation, external professionals such as accountants or lawyers and more.
- Operating plan should include physical necessities such as office space, warehouse, equipment, supplies or labor. If you’re a one person company you might only need to include operating essentials in this section.
- The financial plan section is the most crucial for investors or if you’re trying to get a loan. You want to demonstrate in this section that your business will be profitable. A good rule of thumb is to underestimate your income and overestimate your expenses. Income statements, cash-flow forecasts and balance sheets are a few elements in this section.
- Exhibits and appendices section should include information that will help to impress your potential lenders or investors. Data like credit histories of business owners, business website links, resumes, references etc.
Another really important part of getting your food trailer running is to get the European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval. Our food trailers and trucks are already approved by the EU upon purchase but we want to make you aware that a lot of trucks on the market do not have this approval.
Get our free ”Getting Started with your food truck business” resource guide below!
Decades ago, street food was once popular in Europe. It wasn’t until proper restaurants were created that street food vendors found their business to decline dramatically. Everyone, suddenly, seemed to value sitting down for a gourmet style meal more than a fast and tasty alternative. This trend could be observed in many countries within Europe, […]
VINTAGE FOOD TRUCKS IN IRELAND The mobile food truck business is experiencing rapid growth as people now opt for a quick on the go, inexpensive and delicious service. Whether you’re in Belfast, Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Meath, Galway or Cork; your food truck business is bound to sell in a consumer driven market. There are a […]
There is no denying that today’s day and age celebrates food trucks like nothing else. Just this past year, the food tuck industry was able to generate 1 billion dollars in profits –making it one of the most lucrative businesses within the food industry. The reality of today is such that many people have adjusted […]
Promotion is one of the most important aspects for the success of a business. It is one of the 4Ps that make up the marketing mix. Some might even argue that it is the most important element of the marketing mix. This is true because of the fact that there can be no sales unless […]
Food is a universal language. Many people who have differences of backgrounds, of cultures and of history, come together for food. There is no better peace-maker than food and it is something that has the power to unite even the greatest enemies. There are different types of food and dining experiences that are popular in […]
Investing in food trucks, whether they are produced by Air Stream, Citroen, HY, VW or Piaggio Apes, comes with a plethora of questions and doubts. Many people ponder on whether such an investment is a smart decision Here is a compiled list of questions that most have in regards to the profitability of food trucks: […]
Mobile catering has seen an increase in popularity in recent years with more and more food trucks and catering trailers popping up every year in Ireland, UK and worldwide. They have great potential to capitalise on the popularity of street food and make a profitable catering business. Mobile catering and food truck businesses have the advantage of […]
Every business owner has the potential to expand. Whether you are a multiple business owner or just want to change location, you should be finding ways beyond the normal to help grow your business. The food truck industry is consistently growing and is now becoming a popular way of expanding your business. Food concession trailers are in high […]
In order to start your own food truck business there are many steps involved that cannot be omitted. If you dream of starting your first mobile catering venture this guide will help you get started and familiarize yourself with the process. Food Safety Authority Ireland Checklist First and foremost your food business must be registered […]
Wearing different hats as a business owner Being a food truck owner means you have to wear many different hats! One of the roles you need to deeply think about is how you will market your food truck business and create a brand identity that will attract your target market. Why is brand identity so […]
Food trucks and trailers are everywhere and have gained a lot of popularity among business owners and managers during the last 2 years in the midst of the current Covid-19 pandemic struggles. One of the key and currently crucial benefits is that you can use a trailer as an outdoor solution and trade all year […]
You may wonder why it is worth considering targeting millennials with your food truck business and what is unique about this generation of consumers. Anyone born between 1981 and 1996 is considered a millennial, meaning people from 25 to 40 years of age. This age group has disposable income and is more likely to purchase […]
It’s time to get your food truck ready for Halloween 2021! It is certainly a time awaited by many children and young people in Ireland. By this time more of the Covid-19 restrictions will be loosened and people will be feeling more comfortable and safer to go out. Due to a long time spent with […]